Friday, September 6, 2013

Ponderings #52

Dear fellow travelers,
  My last Pondering for me  brought back many  memories of where life was and projecting it forward,  what history has taken place over the years since I was born.   I should probably write "around me",  because that Pondering ties in with this current one through the movie "The Butler" that I just saw-(-a must see, if not twice).  It brought back more memories of those time periods which I lived through, as you may have. 
    Memories for me of  the civil rights movements, which were incorporated in the film through  the older son, a fictitious character added to intertwine the segregation and civil rights movements that were portrayed  during the film.  Also I just watched "42" the Jackie Robinson movie.  Wow--  a double whammy.
  I lived in Texas for a few years in the late 40's, and at a young age, I can still  remember going to the football games with my family, sitting in the grandstands, and hearing the obscenities being hollowed at the black football players and band members.  I remember cringing, and wondering how these people could be so nasty and mean,  they didn't even know those people, not that that should make a difference.   And I still wonder how so much meanest could have come from those people.
  I am really grateful that my family was not racially prejudice,  I didn't grow up in that type of home environment . and those attitudes were and are foreign to me  But obviously that wasn't and hopefully still isn't the same for other households.
  My regret is that I didn't do anything to help with the integration or civil rights movements when they were at their prime.  I so admire the people who did.  I  honor all the people who made those changes happen!!
  When I think of that particular time period,  I was a single mom, with the "woman" in the work place challenge.  Getting a credit card in my name was a challenge, then a mortgage for a house in my name, using only my salary was a challenge, but I did it, and then moving thru the glass ceiling happened with the EEOC.  But that wasn't life of death, just higher wages, and  better jobs in a male dominated society. 

  We have come far as a country--obviously-- a black president, one of the richest in all ways black women,  many black company presidents, and intermarriage isn't a taboo or illegal any more.  To me,  all good,  in all ways.

 Moving in a different direction but another current upward movement is the "same sex" marriage law.

 But where else do we need to travel??  what am I not seeing??
  What else needs to be changed??  Where is our consciousness??
  
  Change does happen--sometimes at a much higher cost than necessary.
  What price am I willing to pay??

   Just Pondering on change and history and attitudes

   Rev  Linda Patton,   ENTC

No comments:

Post a Comment