Monday, December 26, 2011

Ponderings #2


Dear fellow travelers,
Once again thank you for your comments and questions.
One person wrote and asked me, (paraphrased), "How do you keep your joy, I have lost mine?"
Initially I had written in response a grocery list of things that created joy within me from being at one with nature to knowing self actualized creative thinkers, like many of you are.
Then my thoughts unexpectedly turned in a totally different direction, to what I would now call my guardian angels, the people who guided me on my way.
With joy and now great gratitude for having known them, and to thank them and everyone who has helped me along my path.
Most of these thank yous go back many years, almost 40 if not 50. I worked in a male dominated company which was typical during the 60's. but it had that old fashion family atmosphere. I was in my 20's, divorced and a mother of a young daughter.
My co-workers looked after me, I didn't realize how much, until now, so many years later.
One, I remember well was named Harvey, he had spent his adult years caring for his invalid mother. He was then 40 and had gotten married the year before and he had just been diagnosed with lung cancer.
He told me and I can still hear his voice clearly.
DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, WHEN YOU WANT TO DO IT, DON'T WAIT LIKE I DID, YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE.
Harvey died some after, with his many unfulfilled dreams.
I do follow his advice with BALANCE. and I don't have a bucket list of things that I want to do. I do what appears and feels right to do at the time. One could say I go where spirit leads me.
Another incident that happened was when a man told me I had to save a portion of my salary for my future (the company matched the %). and he wouldn't turn the papers in until I signed them. I eventually gave in and signed them. I did live quite well on the remaining balance of my pay check. This should not be a surprise to anyone. The Universe is abundant in all ways. I now trust that principle.
And another time a manager while I was in his office told me to sit down , and then he told me I needed to buy a house instead of renting, and listed the reasons why.
This was during the time when very few women owned their own homes, most didn't even have credit cards in their own names. I eventually did buy a house and the tax savings and the increase value of the house was well worth the fifteen minute conversation of encouragement and guidance.
When the EEOC law came into play, jobs were created at higher pay levels, and I was moved up the ladder. When I was to be moved into a traditional male job, I was shocked that I was expected to do what a man did. I was reared in a traditional home where women were not even suppose to work! Much less do a Man's job.
For this job move, I can ,now, just imagine the behind the door discussions that went on. But I was encouraged by some male mentors to take the job. I did. and I did do it.
The work place seems to be much evolved today for women and for that I am grateful.
One of my most cherished male friends for about 20 years, during my work years and after , was instrumental in helping me acquire other jobs after I retired from my long term career.
We worked together in perfect sync on several projects. We were totally different in work styles but somehow we were a great work team. He was also my confident and the one who was always really to hear my latest adventure; with the "I cant wait to tell Donal ( his wife) about this!"
He recently died ( transitioned), and at the funeral his wife was excited to see me and said to me, " I'm so glad you came, he really loved you."
I was momentary surprised by her comment, and I thought: yes, that is exactly what LOVE is, what our work relationship was: total support, caring, giving, going that extra mile for each other, absolute trust and fun.
He was special to me and to everyone who knew him.
I miss him.
I could write and probably will about many of you who have graced my life with your unique selfs, for some reason this pondering went way back to reflect and honor some of those special people in my life who helped me mold my life and give it substance and direction.
These people gave my joy, their memories give me joy, and the joy has turned into great gratitude.
What gives you joy?
What and who gives or gave you joy?
Who are those special extraordinary everyday people who helped guide and mold your life?
Who and What supports and guides you?
Do you think it is by accident? these special people that cross our paths and help us when we don't even know we need it, or by Divine guidance?
As I reflect, I would prefer to think the latter, I have always felt I was protected and guided.
Just pondering,
Linda P
Practitioner
With much joy and gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment